Tuesday, May 15, 2007

'tween Top Comp's

There are 10 UCI races that make up the Top Competition Series here in Belgium. They are the most prestigious and difficult amateur races in Belgium. The field quality is always very high, the courses are challenging, and the race organization is amazing. Right now I'm in between two Top Comp's that are very close to each other. I feel fortunate to be able to participate in these races becasue they are some of the best in the country. My last race was Circuit Wallonie on Sunday and my next one is Hasselt-Spa-Hasselt this Thursday. Both are in the southern, hillier, region of Belgium known as Wallonia.

Circuit Wallonie was ok (but far from great) and I'm content (but far from satisfied). I finished in the peloton several minutes down from the large lead group. The origional break was about 16 riders but on several KOM climbs small groups of 5-15 riders broke off the front and bridged... making the lead group eventually larger than 40 riders! I could hang in the peloton on all of the climbs but just didn't have the acceleration power to go with any of the bridging groups. I did this race last year and my improvement in 1 year is quite amazing. Last year I was dropped on one of the KOMs in the first hour and this year I was in the mix, riding at the front of the peloton. Even with that improvment, I'm not quite satisfied and am looking for some good results in the next few weeks. I know that I have the potential to be in that front group of 40 and race the finale. The legs feel great and Thursday offers another opportunity to display my improvement from last year. For now, life is good and I'm just chillin' 'tween the Top Comps.

1 comment:

CPDGUY said...

Hi Vince,
This is Steve Kovach; Nick Kovach Dad. Great page. I look forward to seeing what you do. Enjoy which I sure you are doing. I am going to send to a few friends I have in Europe this blog. Thye are in the Netherlands. Take care and enjoy life.