Saturday, May 19, 2007

Hasselt-Spa-Hasselt

12 KOM climbs. 162 kilometers. 4 hours. That's what I did on Thursday, how about you? Overall, it was not a bad day for the Cycling Center Team. Steven Van Vooren finished in 12th and we had 4 others, including myself, finish in the peloton. All 12 climbs were in the big loop of 130km and I was feeling ok over all of them. I'm climbing much better than in years past and my top form hasn't yet arrived, so I'm quite pleased. I was at or near the front of the group for all of the climbs and never was in serious danger of getting gapped or dropped. The last two climbs hurt especially bad for me and by the time the peloton arrived in Hasselt for the 3 local laps I was unfortunately not much help for the team's sprinters. I could only hold the wheel in front of me and wait to cross the line. My "empty legs" in the last 20 km's were a bit disappointing as I would have liked to help move into sprinting position one of my teammates, but it was a decent race for me nonetheless.

Next up is a UCI in Laarne tomorrow. I did it last year so I know what's on my plate. 8 climbs, half of which are cobbled. 3 flat cobbled sections. 170 kilometers. Approx 4 hours. What are you doing Sunday?

No comments: