Tuesday, May 22, 2007

CC wins Team Classification in Laarne

Even though I had a less than stellar day I can't be down because the team rocked the competition. Steven was 3rd and Bruno was 14th! We also had Jim and Aaron in the top 40. Possibly the first time the CC Team has won and Interclub Team Classification.

So here's the quick scoop. It was a damp and drizzily day. The peloton was decending into a town before the first climb of the day and the group was spread wide accross the road of reasonably smooth "downtown cobbles." (cobbles+drizzily= ice-like) The road narrowed for a bridge and of course people hit the deck. I fell into the grass, quickly rose, and checked my bike. The problem was that there were piles of bike racers across the bridge and no way through. I guess I'm too nice a guy to step on people's faces and broken collarbones to get past a road block like that. I watched as a group of 30-40 riders rolled effortlessly to the base of the first climb of the day. It seemed like minutes before I was pedaling again and chasing with all my might to get to the lead group. Groups came together and split but I never made it to the lead group despite attaking on several climbs in attempt to bridge. Some days things just don't go smooth. But hey, I'm alive and well, the legs are good, and I'm training hard and looking forward to my next race.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bar None,
the best blog I have ever read to date.
sw