Monday, April 16, 2007

The last few days stateside

Well, it's nice to pick up a win every now and then. I was the first to cross the line this past Saturday in Waterford. A great way to end the winter before heading off to Belgium in a few days. It was a surprisingly fast race due to a higher field quality, in my opinion. I remember when I first started doing these races several years ago, it seemd like a group ride with a sprint at the end. Now, there is attack after attack and the peloton can be strung out for multiple laps. I heard the promoter say that our lap times were some of the fastest he's seen. A good sign for Michigan racing. The first half of the race was filled with attacks and attempts to create a breakaway. As fast as it was, no group could distance itself from the peloton. It was as if the breaks were never the right combo of riders and the peloton was never happy with letting it get a gap. At some point after the middle of the race, I again attacked... seeing who I could draw out of the peloton. No one! Finally Tony Brule (sp?) bridged solo to me and we worked hard to hold a gap of between 15 and 25 seconds until the finish. He led the entire back straight of the course and with 200 meters I jumped for the win.

Sunday was a blast too, even though I didn't win. For me these races are merely about preparing for Belgium and this past Sunday was a great day of training. I got on the bike in Redford at 8:45 am and headed west to Ann Arbor. I got there in time to pin my number and spin arouind with some teammates. The race started at 11:30 and was 40km long (40x1km lap). There were a handful of guys (including myself) who made this race a tough one. The peloton was strung out and with the wind it eventully shattered. It was awesome! Small groups, DNFs, echolons.. this crit had turned into a race of selection! Unfortunately I didn't make the front 3, but I was determined to still race for the win or suffer trying. I wasn't thinking about sprinting for 4th. I was thinking about how hard it goes at the end of a 160km race in Belgium. I think I ended up in the top 10, but my day wasn't over. After packing up some food and water I spinned my legs towards home... a solid 2 hours into a headwind. I was pretty wasted when I got home... but all I could think about was the hard racing in Belgium and how I'll be ready for it when I leave this Tuesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here vinceroberge.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Scientific Research indicates that almost 90% of all United States adults are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.