Monday, April 7, 2008

Time to Fly

Leaving for Belgium tomorrow. My bike's all cleaned up and my stuff is gathered in piles on the floor. Tomorrow morning will bring a short spin on the rollers, some packing, goodbyes, and a nice long flight. I remember when the travel day was exciting and the flight itself was an adventure. The night before my first ever flying experience I didn't even sleep because I was so excited. Now the first thing I do when I board the trans-Atlantic plane is fall asleep. How things change. It will be nice to get settled and start racing in Belgium again... so I can put up with the epic travel day filled with planes and trains.

I do feel ready to rock on the narrow roads of Flanders. The fitness is good and will only get better with more racing. Did the old STS races in Michigan this past weekend. Beautiful weather teased many bike racers out of their Michigan winter hibernation. Saturday was a race filled with attacking... although no break could escape. I attacked more times than I can remember and the accelerations eventually got to me. I played my cards early on and didn't contest the field sprint. Sunday went well except for my double flatting on the ride out to Ann Arbor. Thanks to Brian and John for rescuing me. During the race I lapped the field with Steven Howard from Bissell. Unfortunately there was a large escape that was 20 seconds behind us and lapped the field as well. Confusion ensued. 12 of the 65 riders were a lap up. Lapped riders were pulled... and then there were 12. 3 laps to go. Attack. Counterattack. Cat and mouse. And I was 3rd over the line in what was essentially a sprint of 12. Not bad for twig-legged Vince. So it was a good weekend: 2 races, 8 hours of riding, and a 3rd place. So far this spring I've placed 4th, 3rd, and 2nd... I'll just have to get that win in Belgium.

No comments: