Monday, April 28, 2008

GROTE PRIJS AFFLIGEM

Although I've yet to see results, I have a feeling I won't be too happy. Our team result was probably ok, but nothing to celebrate. I believe Steven was somewhere around 15th, and both Ian and Aaron were up in the hunt. By the end of the race most of the peloton was broken up and without a radio it is sometimes hard to know exactly where you are... you just keep racing. So I did. And I finished. Where? I'll let you know when I know.

It was a beautiful Belgian afternoon with a sunny sky, high temperatures, and little wind. The race consisted of 157km... 2 big loops, 3 local laps. Plenty of cobblestones, many small hills, and lots of turns made it a typical UCI in Belgium. The race was fast yet manageable for me, especially early on, as I covered several attacks and raced aggressively. It seems that all of my efforts were in vain, for when the real fireworks began I didn't have the legs, but more importantly the position, to take part. By the end of the race, I was pretty wasted and the most frustrating fact is that all the energy I spent translated into basically no result. I like to think I helped the team early on by covering moves. If I can take away some positives it would be that I raced well at certain moments, ate and drank plenty, and have yet another long intense race in the legs.

Today I'm recovering, resting, and hydrating... hopefully to come away from the race a stronger rider. It must have been the heat yesterday, my first hot race of the season, because I felt like I went pretty deep at moments and was definitely hurting last night. So on to the next race, the next chance.
Here's me looking "not so cool" with our "super cool" fan Blanca at the sign in of Affligem.

The H is O in this pic.

No comments: