Thursday, April 17, 2008

Kermis'n in De Haan

Put in a nice big day on the bike Wednesday. 6 of us pedaled out from the CC at 12:30 to hunt down a kermis in the coastal town of De Haan. With our supplies and fuel stored in the bags on our back we arrived in De Haan with plenty of time to register and pre-ride the course. Bernard showed up with the van by start time so we had a place to put our bags. At 9km, the kermis loop was on the long side but surprisingly had very few turns. The race itself was 120km and I was glad to get the full distance of racing in my legs. I was unhappy, however, with my racing. I gave it a go on a few occasions but for the most part chickened out and raced too far towards the back. I wasn't feeling 100% and let my lack of power lead to lack of racing confidence. 113 starters. 75 finishers. 55th place. Not too good. We packed it up and spun our legs toward Hersberge making in home for a nice 8pm dinner. You really can't find a day like that in the States: 120km race, 3 euro entry, 113 racers, all with riding distance from home. Good ol' Belgie.

Next up for me is a UCI 1.12 called Zellik-Galmaarden on Sunday.

No comments: