Saturday, June 18, 2005

Belgium 2005, entry 2

My stay here at the Cycling Center revolves simply around learning. I have said to many people at home that I am going to Belgium to learn and grow as a bike racer, not to win races. Throughout these first 2 weeks I have learned so much about training and racing in Belgium. I give you the list of essentials: get in a routine, stretch a lot, bring a map on training rides, avoid large towns on training rides, when you carry a rain cape it doesn't rain (so far), get to the start line early, fight for a good start position, the pace doesn't let up, watch the fast Belgians, race smart, race smart, race smart, eat, drink, eat, You can always ride harder (-BA), return your #, get 5 euros, go out and train for another 3 hours.


Obvious fact: the racing here is different than in the US. Therefore, I cannot race here like I do in the US and expect to good. If I want to do good in a local race back home, I race very aggressive and stay in the top 5 positions. In Belgium that is stupid racing. I have done two Kermis' and have failed to finish both. In order to finish a race here, I need to stay out of the wind as much as possible, race hard yet conservative, and be constantly thinking. I am still learning what racing smart in Belgium really means and hopefully I will catch on soon. I have a chance to put some of this new knowledge to use in a kermis this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for reading, VR.

No comments: