Thursday, June 7, 2007

Lotenhulle Kermis


Taha, Scott J., and Chris waiting for me to get rolling to Lotenhulle.



I was more than motivated to race yesterday seeing how I haven't done so in a couple of weeks. We left the CC in the early afternoon for our hour spin to Lotunhulle, which is a tiny town near Aalter. After obtaining our numbers in the smokey haze of a small East Flanders bar we set out for the kleedkamers (changing rooms) to pin our numbers and hopefully find a place to store our bags. We shared a small changing room with a young British rider who borrowed our pins in exchange for the trunk space of his car (for our bags). I shot the breeze about racing in Belgium and shared some stories when he mentioned that he remembered me from last year. Well, I didn't know I left such an impression.


We warmed up on the course and determined the hardest sections. The laps were short but there was a long section of farm road (think US bike path) with a stiff crosswind that would proove to be the decisive point. The race was underway and I was instantly pleased to be back in the chaos of a kermis. Now I'm not the kind of racer to make stupid attacks early in the race but the perfect opportunity presented itself in the crosswind setion and before I knew it I was off the front solo. What the hell was I thinking?... when who should appear but the young Brit with American pins. We hauled. I hurt badly from lack of racing in the past weeks. But after 10 or 15 km my legs opened up. We shared premes and worked hard. A group of 8 bridged with Aaron B. in it. I think when the Belgians saw 2 Americans together in the front they eased off and let us do most of the work. This move was doomed. Groups came together and split. The race progressed. I missed the winning move of 10-12. I must have fallen asleep. Is that possible with a heart rate of 180?


My group was racing for 13th and I didn't have a whole lot of juice for the finish. I ended up in 26th, partly due to my poor sprinting. I still made a few bucks and bagged a few premes. I made enough money for some groceries and a haircut! Plus it was a good long day on the bike. And the best part of all was my knee... 100%.



Scott J., Elliot, Taha, Scott Wenzel, Aaron, and Alex after a long day.



V-Dogg front and center

No comments: