Thursday, March 23, 2006

Belgium 2006, entry 3

GP Waragem Report


I've heard racers say that they would rather be lucky than strong. I don't fully agree with that saying, but some days it makes a lot of sense. Yesterday was one of those days.


We arrived in Waragem with plenty of time to prepare ourselves for the start and after getting situated I went to the start line to get a good position for the neutral start. I think there were about 160 racers and trying to hold position in a pack like that isn't too easy, especially in a neutral start. A neutral start is when the peloton rolls slowly behind the lead car and waits for the official to drop the flag. During that period everyone fights for good position and because yesterday was such a big race, the peloton was extra nervous. One of the Rabobank guys hit a curb or something in the first 5 minutes and flew over his handlebars only to have his bike hit my arm and leg. That was probably the start of my bad luck. Even after the official start the peloton was very dangerous and although there were no major pileups, many guys pulled stupid moves and crashed by themselves. I was feeling pretty good and holding decent position throughout the first hour of the race but also knew that the real racing wouldn't begin until we got to the hills. I was also very confident on the course because of the re con rides and knew the best places to advance position. I handled the first cobbled section well and knew a good line to take. I had good position coming into the town of the second climb and was very focused. As we approached the base of the second climb, the Berendries, the peloton slowed down to fit on the narrow road and a rider behind me rode right into by back wheel, causing me to fall. A few other guys went down but it wasn't a very serious crash. I got up right away and realized my wheel was severely out of true. I radioed Bernard for a wheel change but by the time I got rolling again, the peloton was over the climb and out of sight. I chased hard for a while but the caravan continued on without me and that was the end of my race.


It was a disappointing day and bad luck did play a role, but there will be more races for me in the future. I can be grateful that only my wheel is broken and not my wrist or collarbone. I suppose there are ways to curve your luck (position, position, position), but in the end you can't change what's in the past. I'm feeling healthy and strong, so I'm looking forward to my next race. Let's just hope I can be lucky and strong on the same day! Thanks for reading.

No comments: